I Stopped Washing My Face with Hot Water for 7 Days—Here’s What Happened 🚿❄️

I Switched from Hot Water to Lukewarm Water for a Week

For years I washed my face with hot water because it felt relaxing, especially in the morning and before bed. Then I started hearing that hot water might be making my skin drier and more sensitive. So I decided to try a simple experiment: no hot water on my face for seven days.



I used lukewarm water instead and kept the rest of my skincare routine exactly the same. Here’s what I honestly noticed.

My 7-Day Experiment

  • ❌ No hot water on my face

  • ✔️ Lukewarm water only

  • ✔️ Same cleanser and moisturizer

  • ✔️ Morning and night cleansing as usual


Day 1: My Face Felt Less Tight

The first thing I noticed was that my skin didn’t feel as tight after washing. Usually I reached for moisturizer immediately, but this time my skin felt more comfortable for a few extra minutes.


Day 3: Less Dryness Around My Nose

I often get dry patches around my nose and mouth. By the third day, those areas looked slightly less flaky. The change was subtle, but noticeable to me.


Day 5: My Skin Looked Calmer

The redness around my cheeks seemed a little less obvious, especially after cleansing. My face didn’t look as "flushed" as it usually did after hot water.


Day 7: My Honest Results

After a full week, I noticed:

  • ✔️ Less tightness after washing

  • ✔️ Slightly less dryness

  • ✔️ A calmer-looking complexion

  • ✔️ Skin that felt more comfortable throughout the day


What Didn’t Happen

I want to keep this realistic. In seven days, switching to lukewarm water did not:

  • clear my skin completely,

  • shrink my pores,

  • remove acne,

  • make my skin dramatically glow,

  • or change my skin type.

The results were gentle rather than dramatic.


Why Hot Water Can Be a Problem

Hot water can remove more of the skin’s natural oils, which may leave some people feeling dry, tight, or irritated. Lukewarm water is usually less harsh and helps cleanse the skin without stripping it as much.


The Biggest Surprise

The biggest surprise was how quickly my skin stopped feeling tight after washing. I had assumed that tight feeling meant my face was "extra clean," but now I think it was actually a sign that my skin was being over-dried.


If You Want to Try This Too

My simple routine:

  1. Wet face with lukewarm water.

  2. Use a gentle cleanser.

  3. Rinse with lukewarm water.

  4. Pat dry with a soft towel.

  5. Apply moisturizer immediately.


Who Might Notice the Biggest Difference?

You may notice a bigger change if you have:

  • dry skin,

  • sensitive skin,

  • redness,

  • a damaged skin barrier,

  • or skin that feels tight after washing.

If your skin is very oily, the difference may feel less dramatic.


My Honest Verdict

Will I go back to washing my face with hot water? Probably not. I didn’t see a miracle transformation, but my skin felt more comfortable, less dry, and less irritated. For such a tiny change, that felt worth keeping.

This experiment reminded me that skincare improvements don’t always come from buying new products. Sometimes a small habit—like using lukewarm water instead of hot water—can make a noticeable difference over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Honey & Lemon Face Mask for Glowing Skin (Easy at Home)

DIY Turmeric Face Mask for Glowing & Bright Skin 💛✨

DIY Face Mist for Glowing & Hydrated Skin 💧✨