I Stopped Checking My Phone First Thing in the Morning for 7 Days — Here’s What Happened
For years, checking my phone was one of the first things I did after waking up.
Before getting out of bed, I'd check my notifications, scroll through social media, reply to messages, and sometimes lose track of time completely. So, for one week, I decided to try something different:
No phone for the first hour after waking up. No scrolling. No messages. No social media.
And surprisingly, the hardest part wasn't staying away from my phone.
The first few mornings felt strangely empty.
I would wake up and instinctively reach for my phone.
Then I'd remember my rule.
At first, it felt like there was suddenly nothing to do.
But that empty space also made me realize how quickly I had been filling my mornings with information before I had even properly woken up.
My mornings became slower
Instead of immediately checking what everyone else was doing, I started doing simple things first.
I'd drink water, get ready, make breakfast, open the curtains, or just sit quietly for a few minutes.
None of these things were particularly exciting.
But my mornings felt less rushed.
I noticed that I wasn't thinking about my phone as much
When I didn't start my day by opening Instagram or checking messages, I wasn't constantly wondering what I'd missed.
There was nothing to catch up on yet.
My day had started with me, rather than with notifications from everyone else.
The biggest surprise?
I became more aware of my mood.
Some mornings I woke up feeling completely fine, only to realize that scrolling through other people's lives immediately after waking up could quickly change how I felt.
Comparison, news, messages, and endless content can introduce a lot of thoughts before you've even decided what kind of day you want to have.
Without that first-hour scroll, my mind felt a little quieter.
Did I completely stop using my phone?
Absolutely not.
I still used it throughout the day.
The goal wasn't to become “productive” or completely disconnect from technology.
I simply wanted to create a small gap between waking up and consuming information.
And that one-hour gap made me realize how powerful a small boundary can be.
After 7 days, this was my biggest takeaway
You don't necessarily need a perfect morning routine.
You might just need to stop letting your phone be the first thing that gets your attention.
Try it tomorrow.
Don't check your phone for the first 15 minutes.
Then try 30.
If that feels good, work your way toward an hour.
You might be surprised by what you naturally choose to do when your phone isn't the first option.

Comments
Post a Comment